Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Golden Retrievers, Fast Talkers, Real Housewives, and Communication......

Have you ever had what seems like at the time to be a rather insignificant experience, yet one that you think of almost daily for years after? If so, please share it with me in the comments, or at a training session. Actually, over drinks, on a run, shopping, or getting a pedicure would all be fine times to share your story. Just not during The Real Housewives of Orange County, New York, Atlanta, or New Jersey, (and coming soon: D.C.!) I don't care if Tom Brady himself is on the phone during The Housewives. There must be silence so I can ruminate on the at once
sophisticated and sophomoric dialogue. But I digress.
So, several years ago I mean like 10 years ago I was driving around Greenlake on my way from one training session to another. As I came off 65th Street and made my way onto Greenlake Ave. I saw this beautiful Golden Retriever (c'mon, you knew there had to be an animal in the story at some point right?) who was running in and out of traffic. Someone beeped at him and he ran up into one of the neighborhoods so I took chase. As luck would have it I have a way with dogs and he came to me after an offer of a half eaten Power Bar and some sweet talk. I put the big guy in the back seat, ran home, took him in the house and called the number on his necklace( I like to call it a necklace, it seems fancier than a collar.) After a few rings, the voicemail picked up and a woman's voice came on, "leave a message, blah blah blah."
"Hi, I have your dog, he was running around in traffic by Greenlake, I have to get to work pretty soon, so if you get this please call me and I can drop him by. Otherwise, he can just hang out here with my 4 cats............"
Not long after I left my message, the phone rang and a very excitable voice on the other end shouted that she would be happy to come get him, however considering that her house was on my way to work I told her, calm down I'll just drop him by."
So! I put the very cute, sweet, guy back in the car and schlepped him back to his house. I spotted the house easily, parked, and hustled him up to the front door. I knocked on the door and after a few seconds it opened.
Okay, remember in the 1980s that woman who used to be morbidly obese, lost a bunch of weight and made a cottage industry out of the catch phrase "Stop The Insanity!"? She had a buzz cut, was super sarcastic and shrill, and her name was and is Susan Powter. Yup, she happened to be the woman who opened the door to me. WEIRD! Her weight loss video hawking glory days were behind her and she had a radio show with a rather feminist bent. Needless to say, I was more than a little excited to see her in person if only for the pop culture aspect and the randomness of it all. But I was also curious about her take on the fitness industry. So, with a surgeons precision I managed to let it slip that I also happened to be in the fitness industry and was a personal trainer myself. It went something like this; "Hi! Oh my God you're Susan Powter! I'm a personal trainer! Weird right?! Holy Cow! Isn't that weird? Like you're in the industry I'm in the industry we should totally start hanging out and like do a radio show or something or t.v. yes, t.v. we'd be way better on t.v. anyhoo what's up? Living on Greenlake who woulda thought!" As soon as I took a breath she grabbed her dog, gave me what appeared to be some sort of trance like stare and slapped me. No I'm just kidding, but she was kind enough to engage me in polite conversation. She asked me how I liked training, and I told her that I loved it but that I wanted my clients to work harder, and be more committed, eat better, be democrats, join the humane society, run Greenlake once a week, get to bed on time, leave their abusive boyfriends, train for a triathlon, take ballroom dancing, and on and on and on. When she was able to get a word in edgewise, she said and I remember this like it was yesterday;
"But it's not about what you want. What do THEY want?"
What?!?! They? Them? My clients you mean? It's about them? Their wants? Huh? Knock it off. Really? You think?
I think about this pearl of wisdom almost every day on my way to work . At the time it was a huge departure from my behavior and thought pattern with regard to clients. However making the shift from projecting my goals and aspirations to listening to my clients goals and aspirations and thus allowing them to take more ownership and responsibility for themselves has proven invaluable. It has made for a more symbiotic trainer/client relationship and has, I think proven to help my clients make longer lasting, and more authentic lifestyle changes.
Yup. In a nutshell people, it's about what you want to get out of your training sessions. In order to achieve your goals and increase your fitness level you must have a clear vision of what you want and you must communicate. I'm not a big long term goal setter, but I do make little mini goals for myself for a workout, or even just a single set. So if you're like me, don't get all bogged down in huge long term goals that can seem daunting. If you're comfortable with that however, go for it! And if you feel comfortable doing so, share it with your trainer. It will help her or him facilitate your success. At the end of the day, it's your body, and your life. If you tell us what you want we will do our very best to give you the tools to get it.

1 comment:

  1. I've been working out with Susan in Fremont for the past three years. I've seen her help people change their lives. She's good at helping people get to where they want to be in terms of health and fitness.

    But a lot of people take a look at what they want, and what it would take to get there (time, discipline, confronting an abusive partner) and they just go into denial. Those are the people you find starting a different exercise program (or therapy) with a different trainer/coach/therapist every year.

    ReplyDelete